15 December 2009

Happy Esperanto day!


Saluton!
Felican Esperanto tago!
Google honours the creator of the artificial language Esperanto today. It's 150 years ago that Ludoviko Zamehoff was born.
My parents met each other at a Esperanto conference for youth back in the sixties. Their mutual language was Esperanto (my mother lived in Poland and my father in The Netherlands). They fell in love and after writing letters for some years they married in 1970. Although my mother learned Dutch, they continued to speak Esperanto. My father spoke Esperanto with me and my brother since our birth. So, I'm a native Esperanto speaker (and Polish, Dutch is my 3rd language). For me it wasen't an artificial language at all!
Since my father died in 2006, I didn't have the chance to speak that language that often anymore. That's why I decided to twitter today in Esperanto all day long.(Twitter is still quite a challenge to me) and that was fun!

2 comments:

Bill Chapman said...

Saluton al vi. Mi esperas ke vi toleros mesagxon de brita esperantisto por via legantaro! Bondezirojn!

Take a look at http://www.lernu.net

Esperanto works! I’ve used it in speech and writing - and sung in it - in about fifteen countries over recent years.

Indeed, the language has some remarkable practical benefits. Personally, I’ve made friends around the world through Esperanto that I would never have been able to communicate with otherwise. And then there’s the Pasporta Servo, which provides free lodging and local information to Esperanto-speaking travellers in over 90 countries. In the past few years I have had guided tours of Berlin and Milan and Douala in Cameroon in the planned language. I have discussed philosophy with a Slovene poet, humour on television with a Bulgarian TV producer. I’ve discussed what life was like in East Berlin before the wall came down, how to cook perfect spaghetti, the advantages and disadvantages of monarchy, and so on.

If you're interested in the wider world, Esperanto is for you!

Brian Barker said...

Good luck to Esperanto :)

Many people do not realise that Esperanto is now a living language!

You can see this at http://www.lernu.net